Kenya continues to experience record growth in its real estate market as seen in the significant number of residential, commercial and retail development projects in Nairobi and other urban areas.
Embarking on any property related transaction requires experienced legal counsel with a strong industry understanding and specialised knowledge.
IKM has vast experience in all aspects of land law and property transactions in Kenya. Whether structuring a complex development project or assisting in the purchase of a new home, our team takes a result-oriented, strategic approach to negotiating, documenting and completing all aspects of property transactions.
Our clients, involved in all areas of real estate, include:
- Real estate developers
- Owners and tenants of commercial and residential buildings
- Shopping centres
- Multi-residential developments
IKM keeps clients abreast of any developments in the law and guidelines relating to land transactions through its Alert service.
- Advising clients on changes in land laws, new Land Office procedures and advising clients generally on all aspects of land law
- Joint ventures
- Leases (land and buildings, residential, commercial, agricultural and other uses)
- Preparation of licenses, cautions, prohibitions and easements
- Powers of attorney
- Rectifications of titles and rights of access
- Structuring complex development projects
- Transfer of land (purchase and sales)
- Trusts relating to land
- Wills, probate and related matters
- Advised Executive Properties Limited, a property development company, on the structure and legal framework of a development of 176 residential maisonettes, 72 apartments and a nursery school in Nairobi. Included the preparation of the letters of offer, agreements for sale and instruments of transfer.
- Advised Hua Xiang Development Limited, a property development company, on the structure and legal framework of a development of 48 residential apartments in the up-market area of Lavington, Nairobi. Included handling the change of user of the land, preparation of the letters of offer, agreements for sale, long-term leases, and the incorporation of a management company to manage the development.
- Advised a client on remedial actions to be taken to ensure that third parties could not challenge the ownership of their land. Carried out a due diligence relating to properties owned by the large cement company.
- Advised a leading mobile network operator in Kenya and its subsidiaries to determine its compliance with legislation. We carried out a legal health check on the client and reviewed the standard lease agreements for the client’s installations and advised on remedial actions for any regulatory non-compliance in Kenya.
- Advised a client in the steel industry on the sale of prime industrial property for Kshs. 380 million. The brief involved the preparation of the sale agreement, obtaining all completion documents and securing the payment to our client.
- Advised a client on the purchase of commercial property in South C, Nairobi. The transaction involved carrying out a due diligence on the property, preparing and negotiating the terms of the sale agreement, and preparing and registering the transfer documents in the name of the client. We also prepared and negotiated the terms of a commercial lease with respect to a building erected on the property.
- Advised Sunset Gold Limited in the structuring of a transaction involving the subdivision and sale of 20 plots of land in Kajiado. The brief included the preparation of agreements for sale and the preparation and registration of the transfers in favour of the respective purchasers.
- Advised a beverage company in the acquisition of property in Nairobi to construct its head office. The transaction involved carrying out a due diligence on the property, confirming with the local authorities the permitted “user” of the property, preparing and negotiating the terms of the sale agreements, preparing and registering the transfer documents, and obtaining titles in the name of the client. Once the sale transaction was completed, we co-ordinated the application for change of user of the property from residential to commercial and acted generally for the client during the construction of the offices.
- Advised a client on a multi-phase apartment development project in Kiambu. The mandate included the transfer of land, preparation of the offer letters, agreements for sale and leases as well as the incorporation of the management company.
- Advised a client on a multi-phase maisonette development project off Mombasa Road. Our involvement included preparation of the offer letters, agreement for sale, preparing transfers and subsequently registering the same.
Chambers Global 2015
IKM "is recognised for having a strong practice in Conveyancing and Securities". The firm is cited as being “very thorough – you can rely on their advice” and “they are responsive and look at issues in their totality”.
IKM Conveyancing and Bank Securities lawyers are “reliable and diligent” and “bring a commercial view of the entire transaction”.
Anne Kinyanjui is Head of the firm’s Conveyancing and Banking Securities practices. Anne “delivers” and is “focused on the customer”.
Chambers Global 2014
Partner Anne Kinyanjui is the firm’s key contact for real estate comprising development projects, sale of property and regulatory matters pertaining to new land legislation.